Mold is microscopic fungi, related to mushrooms, yeast, and mildew and they can be found everywhere. Molds are neither plants nor animals. These small organisms can be white, orange, green, purple, black and live almost anywhere outdoors and inside. Mold thrives on moisture and reproduces through lightweight spores that travel through the air. Small amounts are usually harmless, if they land on a damp spot in your house it can start to grow. Spores that are released might make you sick. Finding a mold removal company in Edmonton is very important if you’ve found mold in your home or business. If you’ve found mold anywhere in your house or business, you can contact the team at Do It All Contracting Ltd for your renovation needs!
Where does mold grow?
How can we control our mold problems?
Mold is a type of fungus, so it needs moisture to grow. Lowering dampness in your home is the best way to reduce mold growth and prevent them from returning. We highly suggest finding what caused the growth of mold in your home (poor ventilation, leak). Cleaning the mold and not fixing the problem will cause the mold to come back.
Some tips to help control mold around your house
- Keep doors open between rooms. Use fans to circulate air as well.
- Fix any leaks or seepage. You may need to hire a professional contractor to help with this.
- Dry/Clean up wet areas within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Use a dehumidifier and air conditioners. Especially useful if you live in hot and humid climates.
- Acquire a hygrometer (can be purchased from hardware stores). This gadget helps read the humidity in your home (you want it below 60%.
- Clean AC drip pans often.
- Keep your home or office warm in cool weather to prevent moist air from condensing on cold surfaces
Tips to control mold in your kitchen
- Empty and clean refrigerator drip pans often
- Check and fix any leaks around your kitchen sink, ice maker and other sources of water
- Use exhaust fans to move moisture outside (not into attic)
Tips to control mold in your basement and crawl spaces
- Check and fix any leaks in your basement (especially the floor)
- Be sure any crawl space is well ventilated
- Make sure to consult with a professional before performing any sort of renovations in your basement
Tips to control mold in your laundry room
- Avoid leaving damp and wet clothes in your dryer or laundry basket. Wash and dry them right away.
- Vent your dryer to the outside.
- Make sure your dryers vent is clean of debris, no holes in vent and clean duct at least once a year
Tips to control mold in your bathroom
Fungus is often seen in bathrooms. We have 4 tips that will help prevent mold growth in your bathroom.
- Use exhaust fans to remove moisture to the outside
- Use area rugs which can be washed and dried
- Check for any leaks
- Keep windows open while showering or bathing